Sunday, August 01, 2004

Fun In The Sunshine State

Yesterday I did something very California-esque. While Bethany was at work, Brya and I sat next to the pool eating sushi and nectarines and drinking champagne for about five hours.

Last night we went to Sunset Boulevard for clubbing. I had a lot of fun. The people were very friendly and willing to talk and the clubs were unlike anything I've ever seen. We went to the Standard, the Saddle Back Ranch and Miyagi's. I made a fun little game of borrowing cell phones from random humans to text message Kelly (and then I deleted the messages so they had no idea). Right as we were leaving Miyagi's some tall Sweedish boy insulted Louise and she started crying. Brya and I had initially started talking to him and his two friends because she thought they resembled a guy in the Playgirl magazine I swiped from the house party Friday night, even though they really didn't. Evidently she had a problem talking to them on her own or something so since I don't really care, I was the one with the courage...or something.

That's been the thing about Brya that's been less fun...She keeps telling me to pretend like I'm single while I'm here. Not so that I can have a random sex encouter or even just make out with someone, but because then I can flirt mercilessly like she does and play games with perfectly nice strangers. She likes to make a contest out of who can obtain the most phone numbers. Well she got a business card last night so she thinks she's rather cool. What I'm not going to tell her is that I turned down phone numbers from five guys and I did so because I'm not wanting to play like that. I wasn't flirting with them to begin with and with many was quite open about the fact that I'm dating someone. She doesn't get that; she claims I'm "doing it wrong." They were offering to show me around town (because I also told them I'm from Idaho - not Boise because that was disasterous the other night) and inviting me to after parties. I can't get over her childish ways of using people - primarily men. And she feels justified in using them to get what she wants because she flirts with them and really just shows them this completely fake side of herself. I don't know how trading lies and fraudulent behavior for generosity and sincerity is fair.

Here's something I don't understand...Lying to people just because you can. You know, telling them all these things about your life that aren't true just to make yourself more interesting or to hide your true identity as though they're going to be able to start stalking you based on the fact that they know where you're from and if you come here often. So much of our culture is steeped in lies...Regulated by commoners who promote it in their own lives but find it deplorable in others.

So anyway, back to the original commentary. Louise was hurt and we were leaving. This girl is so amazing and I've only known her for three days to know this. Her and her boyfriend back in England are trying to work out the whole dating thing. He sounds awesome and it's obvious that she's in love with him and wants to be with him, but she needs to live here and he is better off living there for now. She is incredibly friendly and cheerful and when she looks at you, she just looks like she understands - and not just that she understands what you're saying, but that she understands you as a person. She has three months to find a job or get married before being sent back to the motherland. I told her to let me know because I would marry her if it came down to it. Plus, she talks all cool. I've learned a little slang:

Bollox: Apparently means "testicles." So you could say "I kicked him in the bollox." But you could also say "Oh, bollox," which is sort of like "Oh, dammit."

Fanny: Vagina. This is why Brits find it so funny that we silly Americans use fanny packs. Well, not this silly American, but others.

Willy: This will probably not come as a surprise because we've all heard it once or twice before, but it refers to a penis. This is what she calls it all the time.

Spirits: Alcohol of any sort.

These are the ones I can remember off the top of my head right now. Hmmm...Really makes you think about the sorts of conversations we've had thus far...

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm realizing more and more that actual age is relative.