Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Career To Us

Kelly told me the other day that the way he views his life and his future has gone from being career-oriented to being more relationship-oriented since we've been together. I think that's something I've known to be true about myself as well, but I haven't really thought about it like that.

Throughout much of my life, I've concentrated on just school. For a long time I didn't know what I wanted to do after school, so while I was in school I worked hard because someday it would all come in handy. I really don't think I stopped to consider the importance of anything else in my life.

Now I've moved in with Kelly and I'm taking time off from school. I'm finding out what it feels like to not be able to focus on this week's list of assignments, but rather on this week's goals within our home and within our relationship. And when I think of my future now, I don't think about the classes I need to take to graduate so that I can have that wonderful, magical promise-land-type job some day. When I think of my future now, I think about what Kelly and I want to be doing and where we want to be and the expectations we hold for ourselves and how we're going to get there as a team.

It really bothers me how many people gave me grief for coming home and even more for all the people who have made comments about how I've "quit school." First of all, many of those people just need to mind their own business because their opinions of my life mean nothing to me. Secondly, I've received more education than many of them and more than a good portion of people my age so I can't understand why they are disappointed in me. Finally, I haven't quit school. It's called "time off." It happens all the time. And just because I've stopped being a workhorse for six months doesn't mean that I have quit.

Besides, how could they possibly think that what I'm doing now isn't as important?

No comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm realizing more and more that actual age is relative.