Friday, October 29, 2004

Total Riot

When I was in Seattle a year ago this September I picked up a zine called "Total Riot" by some girl I don't know. I really enjoyed reading this zine but haven't picked it up again until today. I mean, it's only about 18 half-pages long, so it isn't like it holds a plethora of attention-grabbing material for me, but I was perusing it today and came across something that made me think.

The author had made a list of what "love" is. Included in her list are things like (these are her words, errors and all) "sticking out my tongue at the police from the cafe window. lalala! you can't see me!" and "watching prettie people pass by" and "having somebody tell me that they want to put me into a chinese take-out box. and take me home." One of them was this: "having someone to miss."

I think that resonates with me particularly right now because there are so many people I miss in Boise - old people, as in old in my life - and so many more I'm going to miss soon - new people, as in new in my life. At first it doesn't seem right that you have to love someone to miss them, but I guess that how much you miss them is in a way correlational to how much you love them. I wouldn't miss anyone at all if I didn't love them. So I guess that yeah, love is having someone to miss.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm realizing more and more that actual age is relative.