Friday, October 22, 2004

Alone: Day One

I was on my own for the first time as a server today and I think it went rather well. I had a small section of three tables so aside from forgetting bread a few times, I was able to stay on top of everything. My first table of the day was a couple who became angry that their food was taking so long. The manager explained to them that it wasn't anything that I did, but that their order for whatever reason just never showed up in the kitchen. Odd. But they were furious so they just paid for their drinks (2 rummers and a vodka martini at noon) and left. The funny thing is that they were yelling at Cara about having to wait an hour and a half, but then she informed them that they had only been there for about 45 minutes because of a)the time the restaurant opened and b)the time on my copy of their food order. So then it became a huge joke with everyone in the restaurant that everyone and everything was taking an hour and a half and we were all laughing about it. Cara was really great with them, trying to calm them down, and also with me, making sure that I knew that it wasn't my fault and that I wasn't upset about it. Jared, one of the bussers, talked to me in the kitchen right afterward and just gave me a little "Go A--" pep talk. I really was fine, but I thought it was super nice anyway and made sure to thank him for his encouragement.

After that, the day went just fine. I did have my first spill today. I spilled some iced tea all over my tray and in the bowl of tomato bisque soup. I didn't imagine that would have been a tasty combination, so I had to start all over on that tray. No big deal - I was still in the kitchen when it happened and no one even noticed. Plus, nothing broke, so I guess that means I still win.

All in all, I think I'm becoming more comfortable with the whole waiting tables thing. I have another small section tomorrow, which is good because I don't think I'm ready for anything more just yet. I'm really not in any rush, so I just want to take this slow and make sure that I know what I'm doing before I do any more.

I just want to say something about the people I work with while I'm thinking about it. No matter how much I may end up hating this job, I will just be amazed at the dynamics of the people at this place. Maybe this is true for other restaurants as well...I don't know. I just see these people from all sorts of backgrounds and they come together and have a good time catering to other people's appetites. We walk briskly through the kitchen shouting out things like "Excuse me, ma'am" and "Right behind you, sir" with Pleases and Thank yous flying all over the place. We hold the doors for each other, help each other loading trays and bring extras of items from the back in anticipation that someone else will be able to use them. We know when someone is having a bad day (or a first day) and make sure to inquire and encourage through the shift. I spent time really appreciating that during my second shift last Saturday, as I noticed the sheer beauty of everyone working and cooperating in what appeared to me to be a seemless fashion. It is just amazing to me, that's all. And regardless of how anything turns out, I'm glad to be a part of it for now.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm realizing more and more that actual age is relative.