Thursday, October 14, 2004

Stuff

* I decided to play with the colors again. See, when I was home, I viewed my blog on a "real" screen. By "real" I mean not a laptop. Well the color scheme was vastly different from what I see here in the ersatz reality my laptop offers. So now it is different. Hmmm...I wonder how long this will last...

* Tera commented that I had a link for a t-shirt that didn't actually work. I think that's a bummer because the link works for me. It was basically a shot to www.knittersagainstbush.com, which has the coveted t-shirt at the bottom of the page. It's so close to the dang election now, though, that I doubt I would get the shirt in time, so that's no fun. If, however, that silly man should be reappointed to the presidency, that shirt must be mine. I will wear it proudly.

* The little boy I babysit, Sam, is doing rather well. He was mimicking my sounds today and has been doing much better in the standing up department. The Chinese lessons aren't faring so well, but that may just be because I don't speak Chinese, much less know how to teach it to an infant. But, c'est la vie!

* I'm rather frustrated with my group therapy class. We're practicing actually being in group therapy sessions right now and my group sucks. No one talks and everyone is just hung up on their fear of disclosing information. I think they just need to get over it.

* I've been reading Black Like Me by John Howard Griffin and, although I'm not finished with it yet, I'm telling you that you also need to read it. It is about a white journalist who wants to know what it is like to live the life of a black man in the deep south in 1959 so he undergoes medical treatment to alter the pigmentation of his skin. It is eye-opening and brilliant. It has provoked me to think more about race relations and hate crimes, including lynchings, both of which relate to tactics employed by our government currently, namely in amending the Constitution to ban gay marriages and capital punishment.

* I wish that people would more accurately consider their station in life before assuming privilege. For instance, I overheard a conversation between two girls today about the fact that military wives are by definition patriotic (they are both military wives whose husbands are out to sea). I think patriotism is something people tend to take lightly and it's something they (gross overgeneralization here) don't take seriously. It isn't something that is simply handed to you based on who you marry. I don't think that Laura Bush is any more or less patriotic than my mother based simply upon the fact that she is married to the president. I do realize that these women sacrifice quite a bit because of their husband's jobs, but that in no way endows them with more patriotism than the next person.

* I saw a man dressed in colonial garb about 12 miles from anything colonial. I don't know if he was just on his way to work or if he just enjoys the clothing that much, but I thought it amusing regardless.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm realizing more and more that actual age is relative.