Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Best Christmas Ever

This Christmas was amazing. After just moving home and being under so much stress recently, it was really nice to just have a good, relaxing time.

Friday, Kelly and I went to Grandma Tammy's house and had dinner with her, my dad, Tera, Conor, Chuck and Grandpa Don. Since I baked pies for everyone, I used that as my excuse to not help with dishes. It worked!

Saturday morning we went to my mom's early to be there when the kids opened their presents. I think the best part was Denisha's excitement when she received the Barbie she had really wanted. Then more of the family came over and we opened presents again. We ate dinner, Kelly and I napped, and we all played with the new Christmas toys.

Then, Chuck took us to the airport and we flew to Portland. I can't even begin to tell you how great it was that we were going to the airport together to leave together rather than to tell each other good-bye. Kelly's parents met us at the airport in Portland and took us back to their house where we sat well into the late hours of the night drinking wine and visiting. Two of his sisters and some cousins were there, so it gave me a great opportunity to get to know some more people in the family.

Saturday night the plan had been to spend time with his mother's siblings and their families, but we didn't get to town until that was over, so Sunday morning, two of Kelly's aunts, an uncle and a cousin came by the house. Some family also called Saturday and Sunday night to say hello and let us know they were sorry they missed us, which made us both feel good to know that. It really helped me to feel more included in the family.

Sunday was spent mostly with Kelly's siblings and their families eating and exchanging presents. He has a bunch of adorable neices and nephews who I can't wait to get to know better. It was so funny to me - everyone kept apologizing to me for the family...But the more time I spent with them, the more I grew to love and appreciate Kelly because I felt as though I was getting to know him that much better. I know it's just a funny thing that people do in these situations as a joke (the whole apologies thing), but I really loved spending time with them and letting them get to know me, too.

But ah, we're back in Boise - arrived yesterday morning - and used last night for lots of sleep and relaxation. I just want to give a shout out to everyone we spent time with in the last few days...meals...gift exchanges...conversations. Thank you. You truly made this a very special holiday and a wonderful memory.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm realizing more and more that actual age is relative.