Thursday, May 18, 2006

Nighttime Bike Ride

Kelly and I attended a show near downtown tonight (Thanks, Kathy!) to which we rode our bikes. Then we decided to ride around downtown for a little while. I have to admit that at first I was not at all excited about the extra riding. I slept for about four hours last night and was up this morning at five. I'm tired. But, Kelly was thrilled about a little downtown exploration so I went along trying to let him think that I was looking forward to it as much as he was.

It wasn't long, though, before I became equally enthralled with the bike ride. We rode close to the overflowing Boise River, which is, I think, still at flood capacity for the first time since (I'm trying to remember from old news reports I heard weeks ago when the flooding began so don't hate me if my statistic is wrong) the 70s. We crossed a pedestrian-only bridge that I have never before traversed - mainly because I have been so dependent on my car for so long - and passed places I have only ever before passed at 30 miles an hour. Downtown I saw new shops I never knew existed, old shops I would like to visit again, and people all over having a good time. I felt cracks in the pavement in a way I have never felt before, because to me on my bike above the rubber tires, they were entirely new cracks. The night air was warm with a cool edge to it and periodicaclly the sky would light up with a flash of lightening, signaling the storm the weather forecasters predicted this morning would come and that I have doubted all day.

Tonight I felt alive. It made me feel alive to see my city in a new way, to be out carelessly riding with Kelly, aiming only for around the corner. Sometimes I think I strive too much to get somewhere, without taking the time to just live. Tonight I lived. I loved. I felt. I sensed. I didn't worry about being tired or wanting to take a shower or being fearful of riding near traffic. I let all that go, opened my eyes and breathed. It was a breath that filled me with itchy-eye allergens, but filled me nonetheless. Now I am full...and ready for a few drops of Visine and a good night's sleep.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm realizing more and more that actual age is relative.