Saturday, April 09, 2005

Adieu, Banking

A year and a half ago, I quit working for Wells Fargo under the impression that I would never return to that line of work. Don't get me wrong, there are some mild benefits that go along with a position at a bank...The benefits (medical, dental, etc.) that I didn't use were good benefits. I got many a date from bank customers. It taught me a lot about the banking process, which is something I knew little about but has come in handy many times since then. I made friends with my coworkers, two of whom recently had babies. And I learned how to 10-key like a madman.

But there were also the drawbacks of said position. For instance, doing 100 deposits a day. The same way. For people who think their transaction is the most important, unique and down right beautiful transaction in the entire universe. Every once in a while there's a withdrawal. The reverse of a deposit. Sometimes a little more challenging because you have to ask for ID.

I often said that a monkey could do my job. After my last one-month stint at a Wells Fargo return, however, I've decided that even something less animate than a monkey could do that job. Honestly, they're making ATMs so well now that they can practically make coffee and change the baby at the same time. You can already view statements, transfer money, withdrawal funds and deposit money from the ATM. At some ATMs you can purchase stamps. Some are equipped for deaf and/or blind people. I don't think it is a stretch to give ATMs the capacity to print travellers checks and cashiers checks as well. Stop staffing the bank, have all employees work just for the vault or the phone bank because people will still need customer service and presto! a streamlined banking process where no one has to stand around all day pushing buttons and being nice to people when they don't really care and counting to 100 by 20 a billion times a day.

But then, there are actually people who love the job. I don't get those people at all. They think it's fun or cool or whatever. They like getting up and going in to work in the morning.

Well I'm not one of them. Two days ago was my last day at Wells Fargo. Again. But this time for real. See, this time I just really needed the job and thought I could live through it - live through the agony of something I see as interminably pointless. I was a big, fat liar. I hated being there and I hated myself for being there. So I am through.

On a side note, my blog is kind of ugly as of late. I thought it would be fun to deck out my blog in wedding colors, but now I just think it looks kind of funny. I'll fix it later...

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm realizing more and more that actual age is relative.