Friday, September 08, 2006

I had to dry my clothes in the dryer today.

The fires around Boise are so bad right now that I haven't seen the sky in a week - maybe longer. For the last couple nights, the moon appeared in the sky as a bright orange ball and last night during sunset the sun peeked through the haze for a brief ten minutes, fuschia and not at all painful to stare into because of the thick layer of burnt trees in the air. Everything now reeks of campfires, only without the added bonus of toasted marshmallows and chocolate. For probably two weeks now there has been a mandatory no-burn regulation instituted in the area and last week they started advising against small children or the elderly being outside or anyone who has asthma. The Boise school district cancelled all outdoor sports practices all week.

All this also means that I could not use the gentle breeze and waning summer sun to dry my clothes today, lest they should all emit a burnt-tree odor as well.

Where is my blue Boise sky? Where is my comforting mountain-inspired air? Come back freshness! Return to me clarity! Wash over me with your opennes and let me inhale your cleanliness!

No comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm realizing more and more that actual age is relative.