Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Ewww

I work with a kid a couple days a week after school. Social skills, life skills, stuff like that. Today was one of those days. And today I noticed that he smelled bad. BO, you know? And since he's fourteen, it was pretty obvious. Also because he's fourteen, and because it's my job, I had a conversation about it with him. It didn't quite go as anticipated.

Me: gently inquiring So...Did you forget to take a shower this morning?
Him: plainly Noooo. I take showers after school so I'll do that today when I get home.
Me: How about deodorant?
Him: slapping his forehead Dang it!
Me: Well, it's not a big deal, but it is something you really shouldn't forget in the mornings.
Him: Yeah...Actually, I don't think it's that I forgot to put on deodorant this morning. I think it's because I've had diarrhea lately.
Me: trying not to let him know that I'm a little shocked at his open admission and trying to not be grossed out at the thought of dried poo slime sticking to his butt So, just having a hard time getting clean, then?
Him: Well, it's just that when I have diarrhea it makes it too sore to wipe really good.
Me: Yeah...That's not something you should skimp on. Making sure you're clean all the time in all areas is very, very important.
Him: distantly Yeah...

No comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm realizing more and more that actual age is relative.