Friday, February 10, 2006

Ketchup

Ah...It has been a while since my last visit here. Last weekend I took some time off. I asked Kelly when we woke up Saturday morning if the whole weekend could just be the two of us spending time together NOT working. He thought it was a good idea and I'm thankful for that because I needed a relaxed weekend.

As part of our relaxed weekend, we went up to Bogus Basin for skiing. I went skiing once when I was 10 and thought it was one of the most traumatic experiences of my childhood and swore I would never go back. A few years ago my roommate Steve convinced me to let him teach me to snowboard and I let him, despite being terrified of skiing. Steve promised that snowboarding was easier. I went three times that season, but never really felt comfortable with it. It hurt my joints and I couldn't control my speed. After my terrible fall down the mountain, during which I was airborn at least twice, I decided not to return to the snow. But Kelly has been asking me to try skiing once more, this time with him, for the past two years. Last weekend I relented. It was actually a terrific time - after I got over the nausea and stopped crying when he showed me how to click my boots into the bindings. I only fell a couple times all day and found the things far easier to control than a silly old snowboard. I'm even looking forward to returning at some point in the near future. Here's a picture of us just before leaving for the day:


I think that the relaxation of last weekend must have had some medicinal effect on my motivation. We just finished the fourth week of school, which means that there's only 12 weeks left. Somehow, I set 12 as my magical number after which I could definitely make it. It's working. I don't feel as worried or stressed about the rest of the semester at all and it's nice.

I've been saying for a long time that I would post photos of some of my completed knitting projects, but have been quite negligent. Well here's a photo of a hat I just completed for my neice.


Thanks to everyone who commented about the insurance thing. The frustration continues, but I think it's nearly over. I'm going to stick it out with the stupid on-campus people, but only because it's easier. After I graduate I'll get a real job as a real teacher and have health care through their provider. I'm never sick, so hopefully I won't need the insurance for anything serious in the next year and a half.

I added two links in my sidebar for two other blogs - both my own. One is for my class; it's a place where we can discuss our class theme of community. The other is for my observations on my junior high experience. I've started doing observations at West Junior High and have to maintain a log for my professor. I thought I would do the log in the form of a blog so that I have easy access to it and it's easy to maintain if I want to go back and look through stuff at some point down the road.

Kelly said the other day that he wants to not drink for the next month in an effort to be more health conscious. I told him that I was going to hold him to that and that I would even join him in the endeavor. And so we bet on it. If he drinks alcohol prior to March 3, he has to go to the gym wearing nothing but his underwear and sneakers and do five squats in the free-weight area on a day of my choosing. If I drink alcohol prior to March 3, I have to teach an English 101 class in an outfit of Kelly's choosing. This whole thing could prove quite interesting.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm realizing more and more that actual age is relative.