Thursday, July 10, 2008

Doors and clocks

K and I got home from Germany two days ago and even though I'm planning to write a much more interesting, in-depth post about the two weeks we spent there, I'm going to first write about doors and clocks.

Germans, I have learned, love doors. In one place we went, I had to go through four doors to get to the toilet: one door to the bathrooms, one door to the women's bathroom, one door to the line of stalls, and one door to the stall itself. In homes, it wasn't uncommon for every single room in the house to have its own door or for there to be another door at either end of the hallway or foyer. It was rare - in any establishment - for there to be a space where a door could have been but wasn't.

And on the other hand, we have clocks. There was a severe lack of clocks in the entire country, which surprised us considering how famous the area is for their cuckoo clocks and how well-known Germans are for being sticklers on pretty much everything. Most gasthauses we stayed in didn't have a clock in the room. The two that did only had the clock because it was on the TV and it did not have an alarm. Most mornings we relied on my personal internal clock and my watch to get us out of bed on time for breakfast.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm realizing more and more that actual age is relative.